Comedian Amy Schumer is following pop singer Rihanna’s lead in not participating in Super Bowl LIII.
In a Friday post on Instagram, Schumer said she has decided to turn down any offers to participate in commercials for the Feb. 3 game at Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The move, she said, was in support of the “take-a-knee” protests by NFL players that was started in 2016 by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, ESPN reported. Kaepernick began taking a knee during the national anthem to protest racism and police brutality.
“Hitting the NFL with the advertisers is the only way to really hurt them,” Schumer wrote. “I know opposing the NFL is like opposing the NRA. Very tough, but don’t you want to be proud of how you’re living?
Earlier this week, Rihanna turned down an offer to headline the 2019 Super Bowl halftime show as a way to support Kaepernick.
In 2016, Schumer appeared with Seth Rogen in a politically-themed Bud Light ad, "Raise One to Right Now," during Super Bowl 50, ESPN reported.
In her Instagram post, Schumer said she hoped Maroon 5, set to headline the halftime show at Super Bowl LIII, will reconsider and withdraw.
She also suggested that white NFL players should join black players by taking a knee.
“Why not kneel next to your brothers?” Schumer wrote. “Otherwise, how are you not complicit?”
Kaepernick was released by the 49ers after the 2016 season and hasn’t played since.
He filed a grievance against the NFL and team owners last year, accusing them of conspiring to keep him from playing in the league.
A Nike ad campaign featuring Kaepernick as the face of the athletic retail giant’s “Just Do It” 30th anniversary has sparked debate, controversy and boycotts.
Schumer was arrested Oct. 4 during a protest in Washington against then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, CNN reported.
It was not clear if Schumer was approached to appear in an ad to run during Super Bowl LIII, ESPN reported.
Update Aug. 4, 2018 11:52 p.m. EDT: Referenced in President Donald Trump’s tweet denigrating Lebron James, Michael Jordan is showing support for James.
“I support LJ,” Jordan’s spokesperson told Yahoo Sports. “He’s doing an amazing job for his community.”
Update Aug. 4, 2018 3:52 p.m. EDT: First lady Melania Trump issued a statement in support of LeBron James Saturday, in response to President Trump’s late-night tweet attacking the basketball star.
The statement regarding President Donald Trump’s late-night tweets about James was prompted on social media, as the hashtag #BeBest trended on social media -- referring to the First Lady’s anti-cyber bullying campaign, according to the Washington Post.
In the statement, Melania Trump said James is “working to do good things” and she would be open to visiting James’ new I Promise School in Akron, Ohio.
Below is the full statement from Stephanie Grisham, Melania Trump's spokesperson, from CNBC:“It looks like LeBron James is working to do good things on behalf of our next generation and just as she always has, the First Lady encourages everyone to have an open dialogue about issues facing children today. As you know, Mrs. Trump has traveled the country and world talking to children about their well-being, healthy living, and the importance of responsible online behavior with her Be Best initiative. Her platform centers around visiting organizations, hospitals and schools, and she would be open to visiting the I Promise School in Akron.”
Original Story: President Donald Trump attempted a slam-dunk Friday night on NBA icon LeBron James, taking a swipe at the intelligence of the newest member of the Los Angeles Lakers.
Referencing an interview CNN’s Don Lemon did with James about the I Promise School for at-risk students, the president tweeted that James “was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon.”
“He made LeBron look smart, which isn’t easy to do. I like Mike!” Trump tweeted, making a reference to NBA Hall of Famer Michael Jordan.
Lemon did the interview with James on Monday, when the NBA all-star launched the elementary school in his hometown of Akron, Ohio.
“Sports has never been something that divides people," James said to Lemon. "It's always been something that brings someone together."
However, James said he believed Trump was “using sports to kind of divide us.” Lemon asked James what he would say to the president if he was sitting in front of him.
“I wouldn’t sit across from him,” James said. “I’d sit across from Barack (Obama), though.”
The ball has been in James’ court before. In September he called Trump a “bum” for rescinding his White House invitation to the NBA champion Golden State Warriors.
"Going to the White House was a great honor until you showed up!" James tweeted at the time.
James had not responded to Trump’s tweet as of early Saturday.
Glenn Jacobs won his biggest match Thursday night, as the man who wrestled professionally as Kane won the Knox County mayoral race in Tennessee, The Knoxville News-Sentinel reported.
Jacobs, 50, a small business owner who ran as a Republican, defeated Democrat Linda Haney. With 100 percent of the 89 precincts reporting, Jacobs held a 66-34 percent advantage over Haney with nearly 80,000 ballots cast, WATE reported.
“This professional wrestler got into a no-holds-barred, last-man-standing match, and when the bell rung, he was victorious," Jacobs told supporters. "We were victorious."
Jacobs grew up in Missouri and earned an English degree at Truman State University, the News-Sentinel reported. An injury while playing football pointed him toward professional wrestling, where the 6-foot-8, 300-pounder starred as the younger brother of World Wrestling Entertainment star The Undertaker.
In May, he defeated Knox County Commissioner Brad Anders by 23 votes to win the Republican nomination, the News-Sentinel reported.
Jacobs and his wife run an insurance and real estate company in Tennessee, ESPN reported. He takes over his new post on Sept. 1, and has not ruled out a return to the ring for a special appearance, ESPN reported.
Longtime sports radio host Larry Cotlar, 66, was killed Saturday night after his van was swept away by a flash flood in Des Moines, Iowa.
Des Moines police said that he was swept out of his van, which had apparently stalled in flood water. His body was found several blocks away from the van.
Cotlar was a local sports radio personality and broadcaster who covered the Iowa sports scene for decades.
He was named Iowa’s Sportscaster of the Year in 2006.
Several people had to be rescued by boat from homes and apartments on Saturday during a significant amount of flooding Saturday night.
Six to 8 inches of rain fell in the Polk County area during a 12-hour period, CNN reports.
A few waterways remained in the major to moderate flood stage Sunday, but floodwaters have subsidized as heavy rain moves away from the area.
Andy Garman, a KCCI reporter and Cotlar's former radio co-host, told CNN that Cotlar worked in Iowa sports radio decades, covering college teams and serving as the voice of Drake University basketball.
“There just wasn't anybody who didn't like Larry Cotlar,” Garman told CNN. “He touched people at all the schools.”
Cotlar was a recent survivor of prostate cancer and became an advocate to get checked, KCCI reports.
“The guy was overwhelmingly positive,” Garman said. "He'd had some setbacks, dealt with cancer and any number of things, but always had a smile on his face and always was ready to attack the day.”
On this day in 1932, Sharif was born Michel Demitri Shalhoub in Alexandria, Egypt, to a Lebanese family of Melkite Catholic descent.
It wasn’t until 1955, when he converted to Islam, that he changed his name to Omar Sharif, a surname that translates to “noble” or “nobleman” in Arabic.
Before becoming an Egyptian and Hollywood actor and playing the iconic role of Arab warrior Sherif Ali in the 1962 epic “Lawrence of Arabia,” Sharif worked for his father’s lumber company.
According to Al Jazeera, Sharif also attended Cairo University and graduated with a degree in mathematics and physics. He left the family lumber business to study acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
He married Egyptian actress Faten Hamama in 1955, soon after converting to Islam, but the pair divorced in 1974.
After being nominated for an Oscar for his role in the Hollywood hit “Lawrence of Arabia,” Sharif went on to gain international fame, scoring roles as a king of Armenia in “The Fall of the Roman Empire” (1964), a Mongol leader in “Genghis Khan” (1965) and a Russian doctor in “Doctor Zhivago” (1965) among others.
He also earned two Golden Globes and a UNESCO Einstein medal, an acknowledgement of his contributions to cultural diversity, Google wrote in its doodle blog.
At one point, Sharif even ranked among the world's top contract bridge players and co-wrote a syndicated column on the game for the Chicago Tribune.
But according to Al Jazeera, “international recognition came at a hefty personal price.” In an interview with The Associated Press in 2003, he said the global fame “separated me from my wife, from my family ... We didn't see each other any more and that was it, the end of our wedding. I might have been happier having stayed an Egyptian film star."
Sharif, 83, died of a heart attack in Cairo, Egypt, on July 10, 2015. His ex-wife, Hamama, had died six months earlier.
Whether it’s playing football or chugging beer, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is a competitive guy.
>> Read more trending newsBrady was a guest on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" on Monday night, and when challenged by Colbert to slamming down a pint of beer, he did not hesitate.
Colbert was asking Brady what foods he missed eating as he maintains a strict, healthy diet, and he mentioned, “cheeseburgers, pizza, beer, things like that.”
“You don’t drink beer?” Colbert asked.
“Rarely,” Brady said.
But when Colbert pulled out two glasses of beer, the contest was real.
“I was a pretty good beer-chugger back in the day,” Brady said. “Are we competing?”
“I don’t know if you’re a competitive guy,” Colbert said.
He was. Brady dusted the talk show host easily.
Nearly 24 years after the murder of O.J. Simpson’s ex-wife and her friend, the public continues to be alternately fascinated and revolted by the former NFL star-turned-actor’s actions on the night of June 12, 1994.
Sunday night, Fox aired an interview that had been shelved since 2006. In the two-hour special, “O.J. Simpson: The Lost Confession?” Simpson “hypothetically” walks publisher Judith Regan through the events that culminated with the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.
After a contentious and controversial trial, Simpson was acquitted of both murders on Oct. 3, 1995. On Sunday, an interview was aired in which he revealed details from what he called a hypothetical scenario that he also laid out in his book “If I Did It.”
The show caused a great deal of buzz on social media as posters used the hashtag #DidOJConfess during the broadcast, Fox reported.
“The interview was a narcissist cesspool,” JRM tweeted.
“Congress should pass legislation to exclude murder and other violent crimes from our double jeopardy laws and call it ‘Nicole's Law’ after Nicole Brown Simpson,” Aaron Clark tweeted..
Others remained convinced of Simpson’s innocence.
“OJ Simpson was innocent… the gloves didn’t fit,” Twitter poster Don Corleone wrote.
“Can they let this man Live please!” Sluweekay wrote.
Years later, the Simpson case remains a polarizing one. The audacity of the interview, even one that is now a dozen years old, remains stunning.
Here is the verdict from the trial, read by the jury foreman on Oct. 3, 1995:
The stars were out in full force Sunday night as President Donald Trump threw a New Year’s Eve party at his Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach.
Trump, who spent the afternoon golfing, tweeted out New Year’s wishes and predicted a “fantastic 2018.”
Hundreds of people attended the pricey bash, including Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, former baseball star Keith Hernandez and Donald Trump’s three oldest children.
Tickets for the New Year’s Eve gala went for $600 for club members and $750 for guests, Politico reported.
First lady Melania Trump wore an Erdem’s Emery floral sequined midi dress. Originally priced at $5,500, the dress can be found online for $2,500.
The menu for the guests was typically lavish, with lobster ravioli, tenderloin, sea bass and the traditional New Year’s Eve baked Alaska.
Party on the Moon returned to provide the musical entertainment. The band has played at Mar-a-Lago’s New Year’s Eve galas since 2009. The band posted a photo of the Mar-a-Lago ballroom on its Instagram account.
Tom Baker, who starred in “Doctor Who” from 1974 to 1981, is returning to the BBC’s cult television series in a cameo role in a completed version of an episode that was never finished, the New Musical Express reported.
Baker, 83, will appear in “Shada,” an episode that was left unfinished 38 years ago. Baker starred as the fourth Doctor in the long-running series.
Baker said the Doctor character “probably never left me.”
“That’s why I can’t say away from it, it was a lovely time of my life,” he told the BBC.
“Shada” is available to buy as a digital download and is set for release on DVD and Blu-ray on Dec. 4, the New Musical Express reported.
Are Nicki Minaj and Nas an item? It certainly looked that way Thursday night when the two were photographed with their arms around each other during Nas’ 44th birthday party, People reported.
Nas celebrated his birthday during a private dinner at The Pool Lounge in New York. Minaj, 34, posted a picture of her and Nas on her Instagram account. She has her arm around Nas while they stand next to Alicia Keys and her husband, Swizz Beatz, People reported.
In a video from the event, a man Minaj identified as “Nasir” was spotted creeping up behind Minaj and kissing her on the cheek. Many fans have speculated the man was indeed Nas, whose given name is Nasir Bin Olu Dara Jones.
The Shade Room also posted a video of Minaj and Nas together that night. In the video, Nas had his arm wrapped around Minaj’s shoulder as Minaj had her hand placed on his chest while the rapper was presented with his birthday cake.
Rumors of the pair dating began to circulate when Manaj posted a picture of them cuddling to her Instagram account.
Then in May, Minaj told television host Ellen DeGeneres that she had plenty of respect for the rapper.
“He is the king of Queens, and I like to think I’m the queen of Queens,” Minaj said. “He’s a rap legend. Let’s just say that I have a lot of respect for him, and you know, he’s kind of cute, too.”
But Minaj stressed that the relationship with Nas was not intimate, People reported.
“I’m just chillin’ right now. I’m celibate. I wanted to go a year without dating any men. I hate men,” Minaj told DeGeneres. “I might make an exception to the rule for him, because he’s so dope.”
Take www.1073soloexitos.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!