The Philippines’ Catriona Gray was named Miss Universe 2018 in a competition concluding Monday in Bangkok, besting contestants from 93 other countries and delighting her home nation.
The Philippines’ Catriona Gray beat out contestants from 93 countries to win the 67th annual Miss Universe pageant Sunday night in Bangkok, Thailand.
Gray bested first runner-up South Africa’s Tamaryn Green and Sthefany Gutierrez of Venezuela, who rounded out the top three.
She succeeds Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters of South Africa who took home the crown last year.
Comedian and talk show host Steve Harvey returned to host the contest and did not misread the winner’s name as he did in 2015, although Miss Costa Rica, a TV host, too, joked about the infamous mix-up, according to PhilStar Global.
Harvey asked her if she had any professional advice for him
and she joked, “If they ever give you, like, a really, really, really important envelope, try to read it carefully, OK?”
The pageant was judged this year by seven women, including business women and former Miss Universe winners, in keeping with the contest’s theme of “Empowered Women.”
The pageant also made history this year with the first transgender contestant to ever take part in the contest. Miss Spain, Angela Ponce, however, did not make the top 20.
Miss USA, Sarah Rose Summers, did make the finals, but did not break the top 10.
“You are cordially invited to return to Downton Abbey.”
The first official trailer for the eagerly anticipated movie based on the award-winning PBS Masterpiece drama was released with little detail about what might happen next at the Grantham estate, but it expressly invites fans to the big-screen version of the smash TV hit.
Here’s what we do know. Michael Engler is directing the film, which was written by the creator of the TV show, Julian Fellowes. In the movie Henry Talbot, played by Matthew Good, returns, as do Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary, Elizabeth McGovern as Lady Cora and Hugh Bonneville as the Earl of Grantham. Maggie Smith also reprises her role as the Dowager Countess.
The TV show, which ran for six seasons, spans 12 years and focuses on the drama between the classes on a great English estate on the verge of a vanishing way of life.
The film is due out in September 2019.
“The louder you yell, the faster they go.”
The advertising slogan for a new spider-like Hasbro toy line, Yellies, caters to the boisterous kid that gets a thrill out of voice-activated toys, but some critics are calling the toy a parent’s worst nightmare.
Hasbro introduced the controversial new line of toys this year, according to Business Insider. The “Spooders” are fuzzy, motorized figurines that are activated by loud speaking. The more kids yell at the toys, the faster the cute, little creatures move. The toys run about $18 each on Amazon and are intended for children ages 5 and older. Harry Scoots, one of the most popular Yellies, currently has less than a 2.5 rating on Amazon.
Hilary Hard, a mom who bought the toy for her son, posted on Facebook about Yellies. She wrote that the toy sounded perfect for her “naturally loud and boisterous kid.” Once she got the toy going, she quickly regretted her purchase, she said in the post, which has been shared more than 370,000 times on Facebook.
“... In short, maybe a little electronic spider thats [sic] power source feeds off of screams of terror... is not the best Christmas gift for your small child,” Hard wrote.
Hard is not alone in her assessment of the toy’s eardrum-busting, creepy nature.
The buzz around the toy line may be primarily negative, but some international mom bloggers are riding the wave with #Whattheyell parties, which gather children to scream Yellies into submission in a group setting.
A spokesperson from Hasbro told Buzzfeed News that the company appreciates the stories about the reactions kids and families have had to Yellies, "whether they love the fuzzy little pets that move faster the louder you yell, or are reaching for their ear plugs."
Pete Davidson made an appearance on this week's "Saturday Night Live," putting worried fans at ease hours after the comedian told his Instagram followers that he didn't "want to be on this Earth anymore" before deleting his account.
"I'm doing my best to stay here for you but I actually don't know how much longer I can last," Davidson, who has been vocal about his struggles with borderline personality disorder, wrote Saturday in the Instagram post. "All I've ever tried to do was help people. Just remember I told you so."
The post alarmed many of Davidson's friends and fans, including ex-fiancee Ariana Grande, prompting messages of support and a wellness check by New York police. According to The New York Times, a spokesperson for NBC told police that the comedian was OK.
In Saturday's episode, Davidson briefly appeared to introduce a performance by Miley Cyrus, Mark Ronson and Sean Ono Lennon. He wasn't in any live sketches, but did appear in one that was taped in advance.
After Davidson introduced the musical guests, fans quickly flooded social media with well-wishes.
Less than two weeks after Cardi B announced her split from her husband, Offset, the Migos rapper made a surprising attempt to win back his ex Saturday night as she performed at the Rolling Loud Festival in Los Angeles.
>> Click here to watch the clip (WARNING: Profanity)
According to Variety, Cardi, whose real name is Belcalis Almanzar, and her fans looked stunned as Offset took the stage. Standing in front of a floral display that read, “Take me back Cardi,” he started to apologize, promising to “do whatever I gotta do to show you I love you.”
But the "Money" rapper seemed less than thrilled. She appeared to have a heated conversation with her ex, who then left the stage before the display was removed, Variety reported.
The move came after Offset, legally named Kiari Kendrell Cephus, apologized to Cardi B on social media Friday.
"I embarrassed you," he said in an Instagram video Friday. "I made you go crazy."
The pair, who were married last year in Atlanta, welcomed daughter Kulture Kiari in July.
The legal dust-up between Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and the family of the late singer Marvin Gaye is finally over. A judge has ruled Thicke and Williams must pay Gaye’s family nearly $5 million over a copyright infringement lawsuit that claimed the songwriters used Gaye’s 1977 song “Got to Give It Up” in their 2013 song “Blurred Lines,” Billboard reported.
The lawsuit was brought in 2013 and first decided in 2015.
William’s company, More Water From Nazareth Publishing Inc., as well as Thicke and Williams himself, must pay the family $2,848,846.50. In a separate award of profits from the song, Thicke must may an additional $1,768,191.88, while Williams and the publishing company must pay another $357,630.96, CNN reported.
According to Billboard, the total the two singers must pay is $4,983,766.85.
The family was also awarded prejudgment interest on that amount that totals $9,097.51 with interest accruing until the judgment is paid.
It was also found Gaye’s family is also entitled to 50 percent of future profits from “Blurred Lines,” CNN reported.
It was one of the worst kept Hollywood relationship secrets, but now actor Chris Pratt has made it Instagram-official. He is dating Katherine Schwarzenegger, daughter of actor and former governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger and his ex-wife, Maria Shriver.
Pratt, 39, posted photos and a birthday message for Katherine Schwarzenegger. While the couple has been in other family members’ social media posts, this is one of the first Instagram collage posts of his girlfriend made by the Marvel and “Jurassic World” actor, USA Today reported.
He made the post in honor of Schwarzenegger’s 29th birthday.
She runs a lifestyle blog and has written a book, “Rock What You Got,” USA Today reported.
Pratt and his wife of eight years, Anna Faris, separated in 2017, CNN reported. They had a son, Jack.
On Tuesday night, Pratt was photographed with Katherine’s younger brother Patrick at the LA Clippers game, People reported.
A Texas jury on Thursday returned a $25 million verdict against former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent and the owner of a nightclub in the death of Brent’s teammate, Jerry Brown Jr., WFAA reported.
Jurors in the civil case in Dallas County found that Beamers nightclub in Dallas was partly to blame for overserving Brent on Dec. 8, 2012, and he left the club drunk and crashed, killing Brown, the Dallas Morning News reported.
Beamers and Brent shared nearly half the blame in the incident -- 48 percent each -- with the other 4 percent assessed to Brown, WFAA reported.
Beamers has since closed and representatives of the nightclub could not be reached for comment, the television station reported.
Brent was found guilty of intoxication manslaughter in 2014 and was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation.
"I'm sure Jerry's looking down and happy," Stacey Jackson, Brown’s mother, told the Morning News after the verdict. She told the newspaper that some of the money will go toward a nonprofit organization dedicated to her son.
There were no punitive damages, the newspaper reported.
Jackson and Brown's estate had sought up to $95 million in damages, mostly from the bar and management company, the Morning News reported.
Brown, 25, a linebacker, played one season in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts. The Cowboys signed Brown as a free agent in October 2012. The University of Illinois alumnus also played in the Arena Football League and the Canadian Football League before signing with the Colts in early 2012.
Brent, 30 played four seasons with the Cowboys from 2010 to 2014.
The foundation of retired NBA star Dikembe Mutombo flew an 8-year-old boy from Africa to the United States so the child could have surgery to remove a large tumor from his face, KABC reported.
Mutombo first met Matadi in Congo, where the former pro basketball star’s foundation built a hospital, the television station reported. Doctors repaired a cleft lip for Matadi but were unable to operate on the tumor.
"(It’s) very difficult as a father to see a child who is 8 years old who is born like all of us but has not gotten opportunities," Mutombo said.
Mutombo’s foundation sponsored Matadi’s flight to the United States, where doctors at the Osborne Head & Neck Foundation in Los Angeles are performing the surgery for free.
"He is suffering from a life-threatening illness and we are here to help this little boy and Mr. Mutombo's foundation save this little boy's life," Dave Dell of the Osborne Head and Neck Foundation told KABC."Hopefully (the surgery will) change the life of this young man and go back to living a normal life," Mutombo told the television station.Matadi will stay with his father, who accompanied his son to the United States, at the Ronald McDonald house for free while he recovers from his surgery.
Take www.1073soloexitos.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!